Monkey Bites informed me that Portable Firefox 1.5 is avbailable at PortableApps.com. This slightly modified version of Mozilla Firefo 1.5 lets you put Firefox on to a removeable drive so that you can take it with you and use it on several computers. I plan on using this quite a bit since my web experience happens on several computers. With Portable Firefox, I won’t have to worry when I encounter a computer that (brace yourself) doesn’t have Firefox. Also, it allows you to take your extensions and settings with you. Here is a list of the modifications:
- Extension-Friendly Launcher – Portable Firefox Launcher 1.0.8 is now included by default. It will alter the paths to any extensions you install to work relatively.
- Default Profile – A default profile exists within the firefox directory.
- No Default Browser Check – Firefox won’t check to see if it is the default browser on startup.
- Download Prompt – Firefox will ask where to save downloads.
- Download History Cleared – Download history is cleared on exit.
- Browser History Disabled – The history has been disabled to decrease disk size and the number of writes to the disk, increasing disk life.
- Form Info Saving Disabled – Information from forms is not saved.
- No Disk Cache – The browser disk cache has been disabled to decrease disk size and the number of writes to the disk, increasing disk life.
The modifications aren’t life-changing, but they’ll help. Also, just like it’s mother program, it’s free.