Instead of doing a list of predictions or the best of ______ in 2005, I’m just going to give a list of my favorite things on the web right now and some that aren’t.
Here it is, in no particular order:
- My Favorite Outlook Replacement: This one goes to two different ajax-based web apps. The first is CalendarHub, an awesome online calendar program. Second is voo2do, a very nice project/to do list.
- My Favorite Bookmarking Service: A pretty obvious choice, but this goes to del.icio.us. There are a few other bookmarking services out there, but why change? Del.icio.us does what it does very well (aside from the recent power outages).
- My Favorite Search Engine: I haven’t written a post about this yet, but I started using Wink a couple weeks ago and I love it. It’s a search engine that combines Google with social Web 2.0 type tools like Slashdot, Furl, digg, Yahoo! MyWeb, etc.
- My Favorite Online Storage: As of right now, openomy is the winner for me. Openomy gives you 1GB free storage and uses tags to organize your files. The only problem I have with it so far is the lack of ability to upload more than one file at a time. Today, I requested a beta testing pass for Omnidrive, so we shall see what becomes of that.
- My Favorite Feed Reader: None. I’ve tried a few different readers (Bloglines, Rojo, Pluck, Google Reader), but nothing has really impressed me very much. I want a feed reader that is ajax-based so that I don’t have to wait for the page to reload every time I select a new post, which Google Reader is the only one that seems to do that right now, that I know of. Also, I want the ability to read all of my new feeds in one big lump like Google Reader does, but at the same time be able to pick out a feed and just read that, which the others do and Google Reader does, but very poorly. So, for the time being I’m using Google Reader until I find a suitable replacement.
- My Favorite Mapping Service: I love the new Yahoo! Maps. I think the best thing about it is being able to enter in more than one destination (but it doesn’t have any satellite imagery, yet).
- My Favorite Blog:If I had to pick one, I would definitely say it’s TechCrunch. However, I also love reading .derkilicious, A List Apart (not exactly a blog), Guillaumeb, leehord.com , sarahintampa, and last but not least, teknokool.net, to name a few.
- My Favorite Web-Based E-mail: I don’t really care what anybody says, Gmail takes the cake.
- My Favorite Web Browser: Firefox, duh.
- My Favorite Linux Distribution: Ubuntu.
There you have it, Hogg’s favorite things. I’d really like to hear what you guys’ favorite things are, so let me know.
It’s the last day of 2005, enjoy it, be safe, and have fun.
technorati tags: webapps, calendarhub, voo2do, del.icio.us, bookmarking, search, wink, online+storage, openomy, feed+reader, google+reader, yahoo+maps, blogs, techcrunch, .derkilicious, a+list+apart, guillaumeb, leehord.com, sarahintampa, teknokool.net, gmail, firefox, ubuntu